Friday, August 24, 2007

Yet another attempt at publishing my code

I registered an open source project on Google Code today. This is the n-th attempt at publising my source code reliably.

I tried SourceForge (a long time ago) and was never able to use it properly. Either you need a complicated set of tools to do SSL tunnelling (just in case someone impersonates your connection; hint: I don't care if FTP is not as secure as it should be.)

Next I tried to enable Subversion on SourceForge. Never worked.

Then I switched to GotDotNet. The source control client never worked properly. And the site was shut down shortly afterwards.

Then I gave a try to CodePlex. I was happy with that one. It had (almost) all I dreamed of. Except of course a reliable backup, so a guy hit the wrong switch and whoosh all my data was gone. This disagreement led Microsoft to discover that their backup procedure was sub-optimal (i.e. the backup could not be restored :-) Not only mine, by the way. Dozens of projects were gone for good.

Now I am willing to try again... Oh but I miss some of the CodePlex features though. Anyway, let's hope it will work this time.

http://flimbase.googlecode.com

No comments: